Re: "cannot load mysql extension" - PHP Installation on Vista/Apache

You're probably on the right track here. I was doing some googling and I
came across someone running Apache/PHP/mySQL on a Windows 2000 computer and
was getting the exact same error. They found out it was a Security issue
since administrative rights were not being delivered to required
applications.

I think I have a similar issue.
I recently upgraded from XP to Vista and I run the Apache Web
Server/PHP/mySQL as a testing server on my home system for my personal
websites which I host on commercial servers. I don't think I would want to
revert back to XP due to this single issue, since everything else is working
fine and I like to learn & get my hands on new technologies. I'd rather like
to find out solutions to existing problems.

I did see that Vista has (in some ways, quite unnecessarily) upped security,
and I had a feeling this has something to do with what I'm facing. I'm just
not sure how to make php.ini or the mySQL DLL extensions get administrative
privileges while Apache tries to access them.

Thanks.