Re: About exec function

Pablo Luque wrote:
> Hello, I'm designing a website with php and the critical point of the
> design is to execute a program in the server, so after execution is
> finished, server will show the client some data and info.
> The program is called pspice, which analizes electronic circuits, works
> in msdos and in order to call him you need to write in the command the
> input file (which is created before we call the program) and the output
> file, which can have the same name as the input file, since they have a
> different extension. If everything works correctly after the execution
> of the proper command, a .out (the output file written in the command)
> file should be created with the data the server would later provide to
> the client.
> I have got to execute the program using the line:
>
> exec('c:\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\cmd.exe /c start
> c:\\PHP\\PSPICE\\pspice1.exe ej1 ej1')
>
> The problem I have is that the execution never ends. The cmd window with
> the execution of the program appears and never ends, just keep
> simulating (and the execution should be over in less than a second). The
> .out file is created but it is empty. How can I make the execution of
> the program stop and continue executing the rest of the code of my php
> file?

exec() will block until you command finishes - which it never does,
this is not a problem with exec() or php but rather with the cmdline
app you are calling - or more likely due to the way you are calling the
cmdline in your example.

I'm guessing it should be this instead (if it's not then it's time for you to
read the cmd.exe and/or start.exe man pages :-) :

exec('c:\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\cmd.exe /c c:\\PHP\\PSPICE\\pspice1.exe ej1 ej1');