Re: Monitoring download, detecting completion?

On Wed, March 7, 2007 6:02 pm, Skip Evans wrote:
> I have a need to monitor a download from the
> server to the client's machine.
>
> I'm not familiar with any mechanisms for doing so.
>
> If anyone has any hints to point me towards I'll
> get a' researching.

You cannot achieve 100% certainty here.

Ever.

Various things like ignore_user_abort() and writing your own download
script to spit out the file with the right headers and then logging
success only upon completion can get you pretty close.

But there will always be the possiblity that the HTTP request
successfully finished, but that the user's hard drive puked right
after, or their machine crashed (actually, with Windows, that's a high
probability [smirk]) or that the user had a heart attack or...

So whatever driving business need is behind this, you have to allow
for a margin of error and deal with the fact that you won't KNOW that
it got 100% downloaded.

And you can pretty much guarantee that SOME users will download stuff
and then have no idea where it went, and need to download again and
pay attention to where it went so they can open it.  There are even
some users who never learn from their mistakes and double download as
a matter of course...

How you deal with the ones that fail, or claim they failed, or can't
find the file after they downloaded it because they don't know where
it went, is up to you, but if you aren't prepared for it, you'll soon
have a headache.

There is a nice nifty download progress meter patch that's been rolled
into upcoming PHP releases, possibly even in the latest stable
release...  It's been bandied about on Internals long enough, that's
for sure.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?