Re: FYI: Scammer alert

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 09:24 -0500, markw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Just FYI:
>
> I have a couple web sites and I kept getting this bozo submitting comments
> with just a bunch of links to porn sites. For a while I didn't notice, but
> then Google threatened to drop my blog-bits (adsense) account.
>
> So, I looked at my logs, and the TCP/IP address is 195.225.176.66 and a
> quick firewall rule took care of if.
>
> If you have a web site that accepts input from users, look for a message
> the is titled "why not cms," and from a user with some random name at
> jwpcworld.com. He seems to be targeting drupal sites.

I wouldn't focus just on "why not cms". This stuff has been on the rise
for the past few months. I've watched the number of distinct IPs hitting
some of my sites steadily increase. You'll need something like Captcha
to eliminate it properly. These things are site bots that crawl the net
looking for sites with post forms (probably with some kind of basic
checking for fields named "comments" etc.)

Cheers,
Rob.