Re: Re: pictures stored in PostgreSQL DB

On Monday 05 March 2007 19:14, Robert Cummings wrote:
> [...]
> you are doing, what your tolerance is for various types of solutions,
> and where those tolerances lie. An important thing we also learned, is
> that while filesystem storage is often the better solution, it is not
> always the best solution, especially when factoring in such things as
> convenience and simplicity.
>
> > > However, none of those posts answered to my question... How can i
> > > retrieve and display those pictures to my PHP pages ?
> > >
> > > Basically, on my PHP page I have some texts and I would like to extract
> > > from DB the pictures to display.
> > > Therefore, set the header to mine JPEG or GIF does not allow to have
> > > text also.
> >
> > This is another problem with images in databases, unlike text or data
> > which can be incorporated into the HTML output stream, an image needs to
> > be its own file.
>
> Image doesn't need to be it's own file, if it did then it would be
> forced to be on the filesystem, since we know it can be in a database
> instead, it thus follow it does not need to be it's own file... Ah but
> you are going to say "but it needs it's own script to access the image!"
> but that is not so, since a front end controller style script could
> easily contain the code to display an image with a little switch
> statement. Either way, you need a script wrapped around serving images
> from the filesystem if those images need to be protected by your site's
> authentication. Thus the point is completely moot.
>
> > You will have to hit the database twice. Once to render the page, and
> > again to render the image.
> >
> > To render the image you need to query the database and send the data back
> > on its own, but before you do, you have to set the content type header to
> > jpeg, gif, or whatever.
> >
> > This is why I say image data does not belong in the database.
>
> Boooooooooooooooooring. Belongs wherever the developer or the business
> requirements want to store it. Once again, you will need to set the
> content type header anyways if you have wrapped the image serving in
> your site's authentication checks -- whether it resides on the
> filesystem, in the database, or in a dark place where the sun don't
> shine.
>
> > > So please, how can i do to display pictures from DB, when my PHP page
> > > also include texts and other images (from filesystem) ?
> > >
> > > In fact i would like to do something like a thumbnail...
> >
> > You will need to repeat the same steps outlined above, but use image
> > manipulation utilities to reduce the image. Again, that's why you store
> > images in files and not in the database.
>
> Wrong again. Can pull the image directly into memory from the retrieved
> database field. Can then convert it to an image resource using
> imagecreatefromstring(). Can manipulate the image directly in memory
> using the image manipulation functions. And finally, can directly flush
> the image to the browser without ever having touched the filesystem
> manually. Filesystem is not a necessity.

I picked up on that link, very interesting reading. Just a lot of fuss making
the scaling function work, wheras I got pnmscale doing it for nothing.
But I really liked the _clean_ solution fetching images from database and
rescale on FREAKY!!! ;D                                 *but slow*

And even when I now seldom use the database to store images, I found even more
areas to implement the idead you put me on... thanks

--
---
Børge