PHP running as CGI? How to set x.php as index page?

PHP gurus!!!! I need your help!

I worked on a small site for a client who uses a host that I think has PHP running as or under CGI (not much experience with this type of setup personally.)

Long story short, this host really sucks... they are very restrictive... I guess understandably so, but it is frustrating from a developer perspective -- for example, no .htaccess to edit... is this because of the CGI setup (assuming yes)?

Well, my question:

Anyone know of a way to set a non index.php page as the index? Normally I would use the .htaccess file to do this, but unfortunately the server blows-up when one is uploaded.

Can I drop a CGI script into my cgi-bin folder to do similar .htaccess things? For example, I would love to make sure all my non-www (http://domain.com) traffic is routed to http://www.domain.com -- I could easily do this with my .htaccess file... Can that, or setting a default index page, be done with a CGI script(s)?

Should I RTFM? :D

Many thanks in advance... sorry if noob questions. :)

Cheers,
Micky

--
 Wishlist: <http://snipurl.com/vrs9>