Re: Re: how to display images stored in DB

>> the PHP
>> retrieve
>

> In a simple setup, that is probably true. However, if you use PHP to
> do authentication or throttling, then the engine is already there. On
> the flip side, you can use sendfile() or on Lighhttpd you can push the
> sending of the file back to the webserver using x-sendfile.

That's doesn't address the storage location of the file.

>> of a
>

> File systems are not immune to constraints. For example, ext3 only
> allows 32000 subdirectories. So if you gave each user a directory to
> upload files to, you would be stuck at a max of 32000 users. Or start
> going to silly things like /S/t/e/Steve.gif

First of all, I wouldn't use EXT3 for anything. In is, in all my tests,
the slowest file system.

> More constaints below..

>> network?
>

> Webfarm scenarios do come to mind. There is an issue of how to sync
> all webservers to have all files. Then again, if you are using 50
> webservers, the chances of them all being able to house all your files
> (1 petabyte, as an example given) is not very good.

Again, the problem of replication or distribution does not require a
database. If you are saying that your single database will contain all
your bitmap files, then that's messed up and your database will be a
bottleneck.

You've stated a problem: A large amount of data spread across multiple
machines, this is a real problem domain, but it absolutely does not say
why a database is the right solution or even a solution at all.