Re: Config language support

edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Seak, Teng-Fong wrote:
>>     Why still use Big5, this pre-historical encoding?  Come on, we're in
>> the 21st century.  You should use Unicode!
>>
> Hello,
>
> Due to some of DB data still stored with big5...
>
> Edward.
    You could export your data out of your DB, convert them to Unicode
(normally in UTF-8), then import them into the DB.

    This might, at first glance, be overkilling and useless.  But in
long term, you'll be rid of a lot of problems due to encoding
conversions and support to old encodings.

    And there's an even stronger argument for you in case the previous
one can't convince you.  Big-5 only supports traditional Chinese
characters.  As Macao is a part of China, and people tend to use
simplified Chinese more and more, you'll sooner or later confront the
problem of not being able to support simplified Chinese.  Unicode, on
the other hand, supports traditional as well as simplified Chinese (and
a lot a lot other languages, but you're not concerned in this matter).
Unicode is really the way to go in long term.