Re: getting authentication information from apache

Richard et al.,

You are right, the variable was not being provided for the apache
server. Essentially I found the answer here....

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/FAQ-F.html#remote-user-var

The document has to be protected in order for apache create the
REMOTE_USER variable. This was an apache subtlety I didn't know about.
As soon as I protected it with an .htaccess file, it worked fine and
the user showed up in this variable.

$_SERVER['REMOTE_USER']

Thanks,
Ryan