Re: Combining sound files

tedd wrote:
>> If you are using linux I'd just shell out to sox or similar.
>
> I don't know how to do that.

http://uk.php.net/manual/en/ref.exec.php

sox is a command line program that you can experiment with on the
command line.

>From it's man page:

NAME
       SoX - Sound eXchange - The Swiss Army knife of audio manipulation
DESCRIPTION
       SoX  reads  and  writes  audio  files  in  most popular formats
and can
       optionally apply  effects  to  them;  it  can  combine  multiple
 input
       sources,  synthesise audio, and, on many systems, act as a
general pur‐
       pose audio player or a multi-track audio recorder.

       The entire SoX functionality is available using just the ‘sox'
command,
       however,  to simplify playing and recording audio, if SoX is
invoked as
       ‘play', the output file is automatically set to be  the  default
 sound
       device  and if invoked as ‘rec', the default sound device is used
as an
       input source.

       The heart of SoX is a library called ‘Sound Tools'.   Those
interested
       in  extending  SoX  or  using  it in other programs should refer
to the
       Sound Tools manual page: libst(3).

       The overall SoX processing chain can be summarised as follows:

                 Input(s) → Balancing → Combiner → Effects → Output

> Any takers -- or suggestions how I can do this on a Mac?

You should be able to get sox on OSX. I'd imagine it's either easily to
install via a package or it's on fink. Either way you shouldn't have
much trouble.

This way you can just use the shell to do the work. You can do it in PHP
or in any other kind of script.

Hope this helps.

Col