anti-spam GD security image code validation

Can someone explain how the validation works?
I have included a code (that generates random security code and places it on
a GIF) to the page where the submission form is. Now, when submitting a
comment, the user has to type and submit this security code.
So far it's OK, but how to VALIDATE if he has typed the correct code?
Cause after submitting the form, the code is generated again, but to be able
to validate submitter's code, I have to check if submitter's code is equal
to previously generated code, and not to the code that's generated after
submitting the form.

Ok, I could store actual security code in a hidden text field of the form,
but then it wold be visible to spam bots, isn't it?
Or maybe there's another way to do this?

Thanks in advance!