Re: What is $this->

Ok, I'm pretty sure you have a point there, but I can't really see it to be honest.

First of all, let's start out with the usual: RTFM! This page: http://www.php.net/oop should explain basic class/object/method/member terminology required to understand what's going on here.

In short you could say:
a 'class' is a collection of functions (known as 'methods') and variables (known as 'members'). A class is a static structure. Each class can spawn so-called 'objects' which are instances of that class, more-or-less something like a copy (better explained in the manual, linked).

In an object (note, not the class, but the object) the variable $this references that object (it references itself basically). -> is an operator stating 'perform the right-hand action on the left-hand object (referenced by that variable). So $object->help() will call the function help() on the object referenced as $object.

Now, I suggest you read trough the entire oop section of the manual to find out more in detail and better wording.

- tul

Sancar Saran wrote:
Hi,

I believe there are more offical answes available at around the web.

This is what I understand $this->

This is a base OO programming thing.

IN oo world you have to create new object to do someting.

like

$db = new adodb;

so after the generate object you will modify this object via functions.

$db->execSql($sql);

when you send this command, your class have to do someting with the object...

and program have to know which object?, because you can create unlimited amount of object from same code. So. $this points current object.

when you do someting with any object, inside of his class code his name was always $this.

Hope helps.

Sancar