Re: Banner rotation with links

Kevin Murphy wrote:
> On my home page i have all my banners in a MySQL database which includes
> the image path, the link, and the description as separate fields. The
> then do a MySQL query with a query that will look something like this:
>
> $query = "select * FROM banner ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1";
>
> Seems to work just fine.

just wait till you have 100000 items in that table :-)
in practice that may never happen and maybe MySQL can optimize a
SELECT that does "ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1"

(can anyone confirm what MySQL does with "ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1" exactly in terms
of scanning the table? - the MySQL docs don't mention whether this is scalable at all)

*but* if that is not the case then using a field (call it 'randomized' or something like that)
and indexing on that and then updating that field periodically with random
integers using a cronjob script would make the resulting query alot more robust ..
the compromise being that you don't get a different banner each request:

$query = "select * FROM banner ORDER BY randomized LIMIT 1";

the compromise can be mitigated some what by doing something like this
(assuming you use sessions):

// BRC = Banner Random Count
if (!isset($_SESSION['BRC']))
	$_SESSION['BRC'] = 0;
$query = "select * FROM banner ORDER BY randomized LIMIT {$_SESSION['BRC']},1";
$_SESSION['BRC']++;