Re: Filtering _REQUEST.. Why is this bad?

i agree, no argument there.

Data coming from user should always be considered malicious. I'm just
pointing out one reason why not use _REQUEST. but there are intance _REQUEST
variable can be useful (just be very careful). Regarding _GET and _POST
using same name, there are instance this can be useful, not at the same time
in one page but rather interchangely. example in page submit you get data
from $_GET['sameName'] and on the next page submit you get it from
$_POST['sameName'] this is for dynamic purpose. There are situation, that
for example data on _GET needed to be passed but you need to pass your page
using POST.(like i said be careful and not over use because of lazyness)

(i hope i'm being clear)

On 2/14/07, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, February 12, 2007 8:41 pm, J R wrote:
> it is not adviced to do filtering on _REQUEST getting data in general
> from
> it actually. It is much better to specify where your data is coming
> from (
> e.g. _POST or _GET). This is because variable _REQUST contains all the
> data
> from the cookies, get and post. and if ever you have the same variable
> name
> on two or more of those variable you might get the wrong one.
>
> and as we all know there is a security risk with cookies. users can
> easily
> replace you data for example in post using cookies.

Or they could replace all the POST data using POST...

A Bad Guy would have to be incredibly naive, unskilled, and downright
dumb to be caught by your script differentiating between
GET/POST/COOKIE as the source of the data.

Spoofing a POST is a matter of saving the HTML locally and filling in
whatever you want for extra INPUT and the values you like.

If you intentionally have 2 (or more) inputs to your script of the
same name, one each from GET/POST/COOKIE, I'd have to say that's a
pretty confusing design from the get-go.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?

--