Redisplay file name on failed upload

When a file upload fails, not because of a problem with the upload itself,
is there anyway of assigning the value captured by

  <input name="upldFile" type="file">

when the form is redisplayed?

The failure may not be due to a problem with the file being uploaded, but
because the user failed to complete a keywords field or some other bit of
wanted information.

Is it possible to assign form[ upldFile ] = "C:\somepath\somefile"
or
form[ upldFile ] = $_FILES['userfile']['name']

The script which does the validation is the same one which contains the
upload form. I suspect we're completely out of luck - apart from validating
with JavaScript.

Regards - Miles