[re]crazy time with str_replace()

Hello;
I solved this problem, I think. It is the only thing I could find different between two other wise identical strings in two php files with identical names (in different dirs). One was formatted for Unix (linefeed line ending) and the one, that was not responding, was formatted for Mac (carriage return line endings). I have not
tried it yet but I believe that will solve the problem.
Perhaps this will help someone with a similar problem they cannot seem to solve.
JK
Addenda:
sorry, this message seems to have been placed in my drafts dir instead of being
sent. Here it is.