Re: base64-encoding in cookies?

Jon Anderson wrote:
Fletcher Mattox wrote:

In terms of the behavior, I think it makes total sense. The only case where it would ever bite you is yours (which is rare because most people wouldn't mix perl and PHP in the same system).

I'm not going to get into the middle of the base64 argument, but I don't think that mixing perl and php is rare. I've seen the mix occasionally crop up up this list, and I know from myself. I've been using Perl for 10 years and PHP for only 2.5. It's inevitable that I'll choose Perl for certain uses and that I'll call the Perl as cgi from pages scripted in PHP. Then there are things which I've already got written in Perl that I also call as cgi from PHP pages. Or operations that are not compiled into all installs of PHP and are standard with Perl, like fork(), and there's nothing you can do about it because you don't have control over the installation. Each language has its strengths. What's true of Perl, I think is probably true of Python as well. There are lots of programmers and web sties that must mix Python and PHP.