Sorting a multidimensional array

Hi all. I am building an online events directory and as part of the system
users can search for events by date, category etc.

The logic involved in finding events that match the user-entered dates works
like so:

1. we create a range of dates from the start and end dates specified by the
user
2. we then poll the database for any events that encompass or intersect this
range (using the start_date and end_date fields from events table).
3. we then find out the frequency of the event ie weekly, monthly and then
map out its lifetime.
4. we then go through those dates, and for any that match a date in the user
range, the event on that date (ie all it details, name, venue, date, start
time etc) is added to an array.

...etc etc

So we eventually have a large multidimensional array whose elements contain
arrays of events that fall on a specific date.

I am using usort to ensure the events are sorted by date, but I also want to
sort by time, for instance if there are five events on one day I want to
sort them by start_time.

Here's an example of how the event array looks:

element [0] contains an array as follows ('date', 'name' venue',
'start_time', 'category...');
element [1] contains an array as follows ('date', 'name' venue',
'start_time', 'category...');

I tried using array_multisort but it didn't seem to do what I wanted. I want
to sort by date, then start_time if the dates are equivalent.

Any ideas?

--
http://www.web-buddha.co.uk