Re: PHP book reviewers wanted

Hello,

on 02/06/2007 12:39 AM Richard Lynch said the following:
>>> Demonstrating good English writing skills and having published good
>>> book
>>> reviews in the past gets me preference.
>> "gets me preference" ???
>>
>> Me get any money for this?
>
> Hey, go easy on the non-native speakers...
>
> I'm betting your Spanish is worse than his English...

Thanks for helping to clarify the "native speakers". Just a minor
correction. My Spanish is not better than my English. I am a native
Portuguese speaker. ;-)

<cultural_moment>Portuguese is also a latin based language like Spanish,
French, Italian and Romanian, but it is a distinct idiom.</cultural_moment>

> [This is aside from the ads jabs some are taking, which is easy to
> solve -- don't use his site.]

Right. After all everybody is free to go anywhere you want or not, with
or without ads.

Anyway, since you brought that up, I would like to clarify that this is
often misunderstood issue. Nobody likes ads, including myself. Ads are
obviously necessary to keep the site viable. Otherwise it would have
been closed a long time ago.

Anyway, for those very intolerant to ads, at least there is an option in
the user options page that the can check to disable pop under and
interstitial ads. This was never a secret, but I am not encouraging
anybody to use that option either. The site needs the ad revenue
generated by all the advertisiment. That option does not disable all
ads, but at least disables probably the most annoying.

For those that would like to see no ads at all and benefit from full
site loading speed, after almost 5 years of promises, in the next months
I will finally launch the package of premium services that among several
other interesting benefits, it will provide an ad free site navigation,
for a small monthly fee.

I know that only those that real care about the site will adhere. But at
least there will finally be an option for all those that avoid visiting
the site because of the ads.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos