Re: PHP with XML database

On Fri, January 26, 2007 2:36 pm, Ritesh Nadhani wrote:
> Hello all
>
> As part of my research under my professor I have to implement a web
> interface to their benchmarking data.
>
> PHP is the chosen web language but we are little worried about the
> database. The benchmark data comes to us in XML format (e.g.
> http://www.matf.bg.ac.yu/~filip/ArgoLib/smt-lib-xml/Examples/FolEq1.xml).
> We have to implement an interface to query them, get data, update etc.
>
> We even can change schema in the form of attributes. . The data size
> would be around 100 MB each XML with around 100 different XMLs.
>
> The load would be max 5-10 users any given time, batch updates once a
> month and heavy load probably 2-3 times a month. Mission criticality
> is
> not important, we can get it down sometimes. Which db would you
> suggest?
>
> I did Google research and as of now - I like eXist, Sedna (they seem
> have good PHP wrapper support) and Timber. Another thing would be good
> documentation and support.
>
> Any suggestions?

MySQL with the XML Engine would be my first suggestion to check out.

You would just slurp down the XML and then use simple standard SQL
queries on the local copy.

I dunno how fast/stable it is, nor even what version of MySQL it
appears in, but it's there somewhere.

There are almost for sure other more common RDBMS that let you
"pretend" that XML is just another database storage file format, and
run regular old SQL queries on it.  I think PostgreSQL can do this,
actually.  I wouldn't be shocked to find out that SQL Server even has
something truly ugly to do it, but it would work.

An even simpler method, if you only get updates once a month, would be
to write a monthly "import" script that just loads in the XML to a
normal database, with some kind of automated conversion of the XML
attributes/tags to column names.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?