Re: Can a class instance a property of another class

Hey - --  -

Here I am again. Anybody still working on a Friday?

I would like to have a class instance be the property of another class, like can be done in other languages. For example: I would like to have a "Connections" class which contains all of the database connection logic and query results. There are advantages to having this type of utility class be local to a data or business class. (I know that I could have a generic "include" with functions outside of the class hierarchy.)

So, in the __construct method of a business or data class, for example, one could:

include_once("connection_classes.kbk");
$this->connection_class = new connection_class;

This syntax fails, so I know this isn't right, but I hope you get the idea.
This fails simply because you've omitted the parentheses on the constructor. It should be:

$this->connection_class = new connection_class();

Of course, you may want/need to pass some arguments here too.

As mentioned by others though, for the scenario you describe above, you would probably be better extending a base class.

Edward

Can it be done?

TIA, again

Ken