Re: PHP & Flash

Skip Evans wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We have a new project that will require pretty robust communication
> between Flash and PHP, and I've begun Googling and came across
> Actionscript here:
>
> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/flashmx_php.html
>
> I wonder if anyone knows anything about running actionscript on
> LinuxFfirfox machines. My install of Firefox on Debian/Fluxbox runs
> Flash okay, but not the sample app on this page.

probably because the flash player version on your machine is
too old?

> The page above had a zip file that may need to be downloaded to your
> Windows machine, but my Windows machine ran it fine.
>
> Anyone have any experience with PHP/Actionscript on Linux?

wtf?

PHP runs on the webserver, actionscript run inside a Flash 'object' which
itself runs in the webbrowser on the client.

the communication between flash and php is via our friend HTTP.
flash makes requests to the webserver just as the browser would and the
requested scripts on the webserver stip out data (usually XML) back to
flash ... you use actionscript code inside flash to make the request and
parse the returned data.

flash is platform independent - you create a flash file with actionscript code in
it (and whatever else is relevant, in terms of animation, etc), you compile it into
an SWF file and that file weill run in any browser with a flash player (with the
caveat that some flash functionality is only available in newer version of
the flash player.