Re: SQL Readability.. (was Re: most powerful php editor)

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 12:25 -0500, tg-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Strangely enough, Stut and Jochem, I DO find this more readable. Hah. I know, I'm insane.  I have done it the way you guys proposed, using an associative array and using the keys and values as the columns and insert values.  While that is what I'd call "tighter" code and when you understand what it's doing, is just as simple to maintain as how I do it, I do find my method more 'readable'.
>
> I tend to build queries in WinSQL first, then insert them into my PHP code.  Some of which are fairly complicated and I find if I keep my PHP code similar to my SQL code, it makes it easier to go back and forth to tweak it.  They both have a similar look to me.
>
> So instead of using:
>
> $query  = "SELECT BunchOfJoinedColumns";
> $query .= " FROM BunchOfJoinedTables";
> $query .= " WHERE SomeConditions";
> $query .= " AND MoreConditions";

> But hey.. I'm always willing to learn new stuff.
> One reason I posted this was to see more of what other
> people did with their code, SQL queries in particular.

My insert style is very similar to my select style:

<?php

$query =
    "INSERT INTO someTable "
   ."( "
   ."    field1, "
   ."    field1, "
   ."    field1 "
   .") "
   ."VALUES "
   ."( "
   ."    ".$db->quote( $value1 ).", "
   ."    ".$db->quote( $value2 ).", "
   ."    ".$db->quote( $value3 )." "
   .") ";

?>

Or if there's a lot of fields:

<?php

$data = array
(
    'field1' => $value1,
    'field2' => $value2,
    'field3' => $value3,
);

$query =
    "INSERT INTO someTable "
   ."( "
   .    implode( ", ", array_keys( $data ) )." "
   .") "
   ."VALUES "
   ."( "
   .    implode( ", ", $db->quoteArray( $data ) )." "
   .") ";

?>

Although, I don't find myself doing much in the way of inserts these
days since I often extend a data object class that performs the inserts
and updates as necessary.

Cheers,
Rob.