Re: php code to upload a url correctly

Németh Zoltán wrote:
> On p, 2007-01-26 at 14:10 +0000, Corden James (RW3) CM&MC Manchester
> wrote:
>> I have a form in which users submit a url. I am having problems as some
>> people submit the url in the format http://www.blah.blah.org
>> <http://www.blah.blah.org/>  while others submit in the format
>> www.blah.blah.org <http://www.blah.blah.org/>  I have designed the form
>> so that it seems fairly obvious (to me anyway) not to include the
>> http:// but people are still doing it (presumably because they are
>> copying and pasting from a browser). My form processing script is
>> designed to add http:// to the submitted url and place the modified url
>> in a database for future use. As you can imagine sometimes I end up with
>> urls such as http://http://www.blah.blah.org
>> <http://http:/www.blah.blah.org>  in my database. Hence I need a more
>> rigorous form processing script that is capable of first checking if the
>> url includes http:// and then processes accordingly. Can anyone point me
>> in the right direction for such a script?
>>

> You should first check the url and only add "http://"; at the beginning
> if its not there
>
> I do it like
>
> if (substr($url, 0, 4) != "http") {$url = "http://"; . $url;}
>
> in my website, although it is probably not the most elegant solution ;)

it will break in the highly unlikely situation that someone uploads a url like:

	http.mydomain.com

an also for things like:

	ftp://leet.haxordownload.org/

2 alternatives spring to mind:

	1. a beasty little regex.
	2. use the output of parse_url().

the second is by far the better way of doing this, below a couple of
examples:

<?php

var_dump(
	parse_url("http.mydomain.com/foo.php?id=1"),
	parse_url("https://www.foo.org/html.html?arg=a";),
	parse_url("ftp://leet.haxordl.org";)
);

?>

hopefully the OP has enough brains (I'll assume he does given the 'Dr' title he carries :-)
to figure out how to use the output to be able to always generate a valid url from whatever
people are sticking in his form (and/or return a suitable error if someone tries to insert
some complete rubbish)