Re: Regular Expression Problem

Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx / 2007-01-24 23:55:27 +0100:
>> Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>>> Are you doing this to learn regular expressions or are you actually
>>> trying to do work? Because you're going the wrong way.
>>> It's XML, why do you treat it as text?
>> not everyone shares that sentiment. in terms of lowest common denominator
>> XML is also a string. then there is the question of whether it's actually
>> marked as XML, whether there is valid DTD and whether the XML itself validates
>> against the DTD - if any of the answers is 'no' then your looking at tag soup.
>
> as long as it's wellformed he can use it for what it is: a serialized
> composite structure, like the result of serialize($aTreeOfObjects).
> You can use preg_match() to extract a subset of the tree, but why bother
> if you have unserialize($aTreeOfObjects)->getElementById("foo")?

nothing to do with this argument but:

this reminds of a thread on internals where someone was trying to determine
if a serialized data was *safe* to run ... the data was coming from a cookie (I think),
unserializing the data without first checking it didn't contain something
evil was a bad idea - the proposed solution was a fairly simple regex
that checked for 'object' notation in the serialized string. :-)