Re: Beginner Question

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 19:21 +0100, Delta Storm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have learned as lot about PHP but I still dont know how do they build
> PHP based web sites.

Obviously you haven't learned enough ;)

> I need to build a complete PHP site with a lot of content and integrate
> CSS,javaScript and a lot of other stuff (for the school)

Woohooo, a good way to learn, though hopefully you get the security
right the first time :)

> (Complete site for example. www.domain1.com/index.php or
> www.domain2.co/about?set=p1)
> I want to know how are the sites built, do they build for each page a
> PHP script or do they build just a couple of scripts and a database full
> of content and just retrieve and delete,edit,show database information?

Depends on who builds it, what they use, and personal preference. For
instance most Drupal sites are mostly database driven. But other sites
may be file based. Some use a front end controller pattern so you access
a single page that determines what you see via the URL's parameters,
others use real files. Others use URL rewriting tricks via the web
server to make it the front end controller pattern look like real files.

> I know that when I see in the sites url php? that means that site has a
> database, right...?

Nope, that generally means it's using PHP, but not always. Anyone can
set their webserver to invoke whatever server side language they want to
use regardless of file extension. Some common PHP extensions though are,

    .php, .php3, .phtml, .html

> Either way I would be very gratefull if you could you give me a detailed
> explanation of the process of building a PHP/MySQL site (I know to write
> scripts in PHP so im not a total beginner).

You'll need a webserver, I recommend Apache:

    http://httpd.apache.org/

You will probably want to install PHP as amodule for use by the
webserver. You should check out the PHP website, it explains how to set
things up:

    http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.general.php

I suggest installing on a *nix system versus crappy Windows. But feel
free to use Windows if you're just a noobie.

You don't need a database to learn the basics, mostly you just need to
know how to set up the webserver, where to place your files, how to
retrieve form posts and URL parametets, and how to output HTML. The PHP
website is a goldmine of information. The comments can be quite helpful
also.

Cheers,
Rob.