RE: What makes a PHP expert

At 09:55 AM 1/18/2007, Jay Blanchard wrote:

<snip>

First I would consider number of years of programming experience
including how many years a programmer had been using PHP. I would
examine some code and look for organization, documentation, and
consistency. Is the programmer published (articles, books, etc) which
may not count against expertise?

An expert encompasses so much more than skills. For instance, I could be
an expert on football because I understand history of the game, have
been published, understand game planning and execution, and have played
at the wide receiver position. Only the last 2 items really require
skills.

--

Good answer Jay.

Whenever someone refers to me as an "expert" I raise the shields. I've been humbled too many times, and a remark like that is usually a precursor to getting bitten by.

A harbour pilot received a fawningl ompliment, from a quite gorgeous tourist, that he must know where all the deep water channels were. "No ma'm" he replied, "but I know where the rocks are."

Yep.

Cheers - Miles