running exec() on client

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to a server problem. I am part of a 2-person
team - I look after document scanning, OCR (by outside agencies) as well as
all development.

My colleague is responsible for obtaining copyright permission from
publishers (for what I do). Part of her process is sending emails to
publishers with Word attachments. These are presently being generated by PHP
on our NT server,but recently the process has started to slow down the
server to the point of uselessness.

I'm looking for an alternative way to do this. My colleague has rejected
text file attachments as looking unprofessional. I would like to find a way
of generating these files without actually needing to use COM, or winword on
the server. We looked at RTF templates but found the filesize too great.

One option I am considering is installing PHP on her PC and doing the letter
generation locally, but don't know how I'm going to trigger it esp as our IT
person has said I can't install Apache.

Doe anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

George, an Englishman abroad in sunny Edinburgh