Re: circular dependency between libraries

# jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx / 2007-01-16 13:56:01 +0100:
> my gut says that it would be easiest to just keep to seperate copies of
> the utility class(es) one for each project, although it kind of depends
> on how large & complicated the utlity is ... this would remove all the described
> problems and leave you with only the 'slightly' inelegant situation where you
> have to, internally, sync the [relevant parts of the] 2 codebases now and again.
>
> given that there is a possibility of different version of the utility being
> required (as per you 'That is evil' reply) the '2 seperate copies of the codebase'
> approach might be simplest and most reliable way of tackling the problem ...
> again (AFAIKT) this mostly comes down to you personally being able to accept
> the relative inelegance of the solution.

It's two if you only count Amock, but I already have another potential
use.  If PHP had namespaces, I'd be happy.  If PHP had a preprocessor,
I'd use that to get around the lack of namespaces and give each client
a non-conflicting, private version of the utility.  Simple "copy&rename"
as you suggest would seem to lead to maintenance hell (read: bugs).

> I'm trying to act as an extra braincell here - forgive me if what I'm
> saying is way too simple to be worthwhile :-)

Don't worry, I'm grateful for the input!  And no, not too simple.  After
all I'm not looking for something "sufficiently complicated", I'm
looking for something so easy even I won't screw it!

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.