Podcast XML files

Hey all,

I've been working on this site dealing with Podcasts, something I haven't worked on before, but I am slowing getting the feel for how this works.

One of the first bugs I needed to deal with was the fact that probably 40% of the podcasts put in the in the database and then streamed through the flash player did not work.

What I found was that the actual sound file, typically mp3, would reside in one of three of the XML fields: guid, link or enclosure.

Once I interrogated all three fields for the actual sound file and placed that in the variable for the player they all worked.

1) Is this a viable solution to this problem?

2) Would it be proper to examine these fields for any XML file given to the parser, and if no valid sound file is found (taking into consideration the many valid sound formats) to tell the user it is not a valid podcast?

Newbie to podcasts... must drink carbonated beverage to refresh... tired... brain.
--
Skip Evans
Big Sky Penguin, LLC