RE: what mail program I'm using?

afan@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> hi,
> a moth ago we (company I work for) moved to new hosting
> company. we have dedicated sles10/php5/mysq5/apache2 based server.
> before, sending confirmation emails to clients using mail()
> functin was working fine. now, many of emails we send don't
> reach to receiver. first, I'm asssuming, server is not
> configured corerctly.
> Though, in header of the email I go on my yahoo account said:
>
> according php documentation (php.net/manual/en/ref.mail.php)
> php use by default sendmail. but if other program is selected
> it has to be specified.
> do I have to specify it in php code or in php.ini (nothin is
> specified about Postfix right now in my php.ini)?
>
> Also, can't find (but almost sure I saw it before) the line
> for send back if error, like we have for:
> From: name <name@xxxxxxxxx>
> CC: name <name@xxxxxxxxx>
> Is it possible the get error back on specific email if email
> is not (for some reasons) delivered?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> -afan

IIRC, Postfix uses a sendmail wrapper for compatibility with programs (like
PHP) which rely on the sendmail program to send e-mails.  So no modification
to PHP configuration should be necessary.

You said "many" emails don't make it to the recipient. So I will assume some
of them do. (I also assume by your above post that one of these e-mails
reached your Yahoo! account) This leads me to believe that perhaps something
is not configured correctly in the DNS for your mail server (i.e.
DomainKeys, SPF, reverse DNS, etc.)  Another possibility is that your server
IP is blacklisted.

The first step I recommend you take is to see if sending e-mail from your
e-mail client and/or from the command line on the server produces the same
result.  If so, then you can rule out PHP as the source of the problem.

Also, go to www.dnsstuff.com and run some tests on your mail server to see
if it detects any problems with your server configuration.

You might also check out www.mxtoolbox.com

Hope that helps,

Brad