Re: Updating episode info on podcasts?

Please keep it on list so others can benefit from the discussion.

Skip Evans wrote:
Stut wrote:
A well-formed feed should have a TTL value that defines how often the feed should be checked.

I thought there might be something like that and looked at several of the feeds in the DB and found nothing like that. Bummer.

You could create a system that keeps track of the minimum time between new entries and uses that to decide how often to check it. Most podcasts are fairly regular so that should work fairly well for most.

Make sure you make use of the If-Modified-Since HTTP header when requesting the feed. Make and store a hash of the feed contents (before parsing) and use that to see if the feed has changed. Add using the TTL value (if there is one) and that will ensure you only parse the feed when it changes.

Okay, I'll check out the If-Modified-Since HTTP header, never used that before, but I think I can guess how it will work.

Check the HTTP 1.1 RFC for full details, but it basically allows you to tell the server the date and time you last downloaded it, and it will only give it to you if it's changed. Clearly this relies upon the server supporting this functionality for the file you're requesting. If the feed is auto-generated it probably won't work at all, but given how often these things are hit it's more than likely they come from a static file in most cases.

That's basically it. I'm assuming that you're only storing the data for each feed once even if several users are subscribed to it.

Yes, fortunately the original coder on this system set it up that way, I was relieved to find.

Thanks much!!!

No problem. If it starts to overwhelm the server it's hosted on the easiest and cheapest thing to do is add more hardware and split the feeds across them.

-Stut