RE: Please Help with simple Noob problem

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Bounds [mailto:scott.bounds@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 11 January 2007 06:21
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Please Help with simple Noob problem

Jochem Maas wrote:
> Scott Bounds wrote:
>
>>Hello all. I seem to be having a terrible tim ewith something that is so
>>simple it makes me sick.  I have a server running FC2.  it has Apache
>>2.x.x on it and it came installed with php-4.x.x.  Sorry I don't have
>>the exact versions but fatigue and frustration has taken over.  I can
>>get them if you really need them.  Here's the major problem.  When I try
>>and view a simple php page in the browser, it doesn't display anything
>>that has to do with the php tags.  By that I mean it won't recognize the
>> php directives (I guess).
>

> does that mean your seeing the text '<?php phpinfo(); ?>' (or similar)
> in your browser? if so then your apache setup is broken with regard to
> php - the php apache module is not being loaded or the mapping to
> .php files is borked (or non-existent).
>
>  I made a simple page (the infamous phpinfo
>
>>()  page) right out of the books.  Saved it as test.php just like it
>>said.  Made sure that apache is running and browsed to the page.
>>Nothing, no errors, no nothing.  I have made up some other pages (mostly
>>from some php books - real simple ones) to view and they all display the
>>same action.
>>
>>Now when these machines (I actually have a couple of these servers and
>>they all act the same) were installed, it was from FC2 CD's with the
>>webserver full package.  There were all kinds of php files installed,
>>etc.  In my httpd.conf file it calls the php.ini file, etc.  So it seems
>>to be all there.
>

> start by tailing the apache access_log and the apache error_log,
> a cmdline something like this:
>
> tail -f /var/log/apache2/access_log /var/log/apache2/error_log
>
> and see what kind of errors appear when you surf to the problem pages.
> also check for apache start up errors that a related to php.
>

>>Can anyone out there help me figure out how to make this work?  I would
>>be truly indebted to you, put you on my Christmas card list, etc.
>

> please don't waste trees.
>

>>Thanks in advance to all of you kind and wonderful people.
>>
>>Scott

Well, actually I don't see anything.  Nothing at all (in the case of the
  phpinfo() page.  All the page has in it is just <?php phpinfo() ?>.
It was saved as test.php.  How can I tell if something is broken and
where do I look for the files?  I haven't done any dorking around with
the links, etc.  Just done the complete install, etc.  Then wanted to
play around with things to to get the feel of everything.  And I get
nothing.

Thanks!

Scott

--

Might be a silly question, but in the browser address bar did you type
http://localhost/test.php

If you're loading the page properly then check your php.ini to see if it's
outputing to an error log and what that error log is, then check the log
file. Apache also has an error log, look in the conf file to see what it's
called and check that too.

Arno