Re: Please Help with simple Noob problem

Scott Bounds wrote:
> Hello all. I seem to be having a terrible tim ewith something that is so
> simple it makes me sick.  I have a server running FC2.  it has Apache
> 2.x.x on it and it came installed with php-4.x.x.  Sorry I don't have
> the exact versions but fatigue and frustration has taken over.  I can
> get them if you really need them.  Here's the major problem.  When I try
> and view a simple php page in the browser, it doesn't display anything
> that has to do with the php tags.  By that I mean it won't recognize the
>  php directives (I guess).

does that mean your seeing the text '<?php phpinfo(); ?>' (or similar)
in your browser? if so then your apache setup is broken with regard to
php - the php apache module is not being loaded or the mapping to
.php files is borked (or non-existent).

 I made a simple page (the infamous phpinfo
> ()  page) right out of the books.  Saved it as test.php just like it
> said.  Made sure that apache is running and browsed to the page.
> Nothing, no errors, no nothing.  I have made up some other pages (mostly
> from some php books - real simple ones) to view and they all display the
> same action.
>
> Now when these machines (I actually have a couple of these servers and
> they all act the same) were installed, it was from FC2 CD's with the
> webserver full package.  There were all kinds of php files installed,
> etc.  In my httpd.conf file it calls the php.ini file, etc.  So it seems
> to be all there.

start by tailing the apache access_log and the apache error_log,
a cmdline something like this:

tail -f /var/log/apache2/access_log /var/log/apache2/error_log

and see what kind of errors appear when you surf to the problem pages.
also check for apache start up errors that a related to php.

> Can anyone out there help me figure out how to make this work?  I would
> be truly indebted to you, put you on my Christmas card list, etc.

please don't waste trees.