Re: Security with dbHost, dbUser, dbPassword

Satyam wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Otto Wyss" <otto.wyss@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> What is the usual save way to store/use DB access info in a script. I
>> currently just use some PHP variables in a file which I include in all
>> other scripts.
>>
>> config.php
>> <?PHP
>>   if (!defined ("config_include")) die ("Error...");
>>   $dbhost = "localhost";
>>   $dbuser = "name";
>>   $dbpass = "password";
>>   $dbname = "database";
>>   $dbcoll = "utf8_unicode_ci";
>> ?>
>>
>> Is this save enough or are there better ways? Where should I store
>> this file so it isn't accessible via the net but inside scripts?
>>
>> O. Wyss
>>

> Besides what Jochem has already sugested, I would add that I usually
> have in the include file, in an unaccessible path as he said, a function
> that returns a connection. The function has all the connection
> information local, so that they are neither global variables nor
> constants, just local literal values within the function.

I'm sure most people end up with some kind of abstraction in the form
of a class or function to do all the 'heavy lifting' regarding connecting
to the DB, etc - but when projects get rather large and/or your faced with a
situation where you want/need to run your project on different systems
(e.g. local-dev, test/staging, live) it often most handy to place all installation
specific configuration values in a single file that is specific to the
given installation and therefore usually not included as part of the
version control (e.g. CVS or SVN) module that stores the projects files.