Re: IE, Word documents and Content Types

At 11:36 PM +0100 1/4/07, Jochem Maas wrote:
Roman Neuhauser wrote:
 > # ceo@xxxxxxxxx / 2007-01-03 15:48:31 -0600:
 >> On Wed, January 3, 2007 2:52 pm, Philip Thompson wrote:
 I have a form where a user can upload different types of documents. A
 valid file type they will be able to upload is a Word Document.
 However, when I view the $_FILES 'type' of a word document in Internet
 Explorer, it says it's type 'application/octet-stream' instead of
 'application/msword' or 'application/vnd.ms-word'. It works fine in
 Firefox and Safari.

 Any ideas why IE does this and/or how I might be able to get around
 this?
 IE does this because MS is not interested in interoperability.

 > Back this statements with some references, will you?

richard's practical experience in dealing with this things is nonsense?
he has been dealing with this kind of stuff [I'm referring just to his
experience/work with php for the purpose of this reply] for longer than
most of us have even heard of php - and for companies that most of us
would give our right arm to work for. his rant is based on lots of experience
on how to make things that work, rather than making that should work because
they adhere to any/every given standard (but don't work because of any number
of real world situations)

I would strongly suggest you tone down your rather acidic comments directed
at richard (this was not the first) - he is one of the most valued and respected
people on this list, he's helped more people improve their skills than most of
us have written lines of code ... throwing random nasties at him really won't
win you any friends, conversly richard has made *lots* of friends within the php
community. he has earned the right to occasionally offer his personal slant on
a situation. call me protective, I don't mind, richard has earned my respect
twice (and then some) ... and this is the result.

if you have something serious to add or refute with regard to richard input
then do it properly - if you end up teaching him something, you'll find that
he is very much open to taking what you have to offer on board and even go so
far as to promptly adjust an 'advice'/'article' he might have lying around according
to his newly aquired knowledged.

Amen to that -- but I think your words fall on troll's ears.

tedd
--
-------