Re: Confused on the status of a "bogus" bug report

Robert Cummings wrote:
On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 10:01 +1100, Chris wrote:
Bill Moran wrote:
With reference to:
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=40067

I'm confused as to why this was marked bogus, and the message that
marked as such doesn't give much insight.

It would seem to me that infinite recursion within PHP is a bug.
Shouldn't the interpreter catch this sort of thing before it
coredumps?  Or is the design philosophy for PHP different than
that?

If anyone can point me to a online explanation for this or other
resource, I'd be happy to read up a bit.  More than happy to understand
why I'm wrong, but right now I feel as if this problem is getting the
brush-off.
Getting the interpreter to catch infinite recursion would be bad (imo).

It can actually come in handy if you handle it properly:

while (true) {
   ... do stuff
   if ($conditions_are_met) {
     break;
   }
}

Determining infinite recursion pre-emptively is too much work. But it
should be able to catch too much recursion causing memory exhaustion.

True.. my point was more that just finding & disabling infinite recursion would be a bad decision, but of course that's just my opinion :)

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/