Re: ODBC and long text fields

Larry Garfield wrote:
> On Sunday 07 January 2007 8:26 pm, Jochem Maas wrote:

>> with regard to wanting results returned in a 'named' fashion, does the new
>> setup still not allow use of odbc_fetch_array() instead of
>> odbc_fetch_row()? not that I see any logic in that solving the issue, again
>> it might be worth trying to see if it does.
>
> Honestly I've not tried.  (I also don't have the wrapper code in front of me
> at the moment. <g>)  That could be a nice thing to simplify for performance,
> but I suspect that if the problem is with odbc_fetch_row() then
> odbc_fetch_array() will have the same bug.

quite likely - but you never know until you give it a shot - weirder things have happened :-)

>> I don't know much about MSSQL, or whether 'text' is an actual field type,
>> but maybe this function offers a wayout?:
>>
>> 	http://php.net/manual/en/function.odbc-binmode.php
>
> No, that looks like it's for binary data.  "Text" is a MS SQL field for
> huge-ass text fields, essentially similar to the MySQL field of the same name
> (at least at an API level).  We also tried playing with odbc_longreadlen()
> and setting MS SQL's TEXTSIZE and TEXTLENGTH parameters to no avail.

ah I see; double drat!

>> are the php versions on the 2 systems you mention exactly the same? (you
>> mention 5.1 and 5.1.6) this could be a clue to the problem.
>
> It's either both 5.1.6 or 5.1.6 live and 5.1.4 devel.  (I don't recall what
> our exact version is atm.)  We're in the process of upgrading our server
> soon, and I'm not sure what it will have.  Probably 5.2, just to keep life
> interesting. :-)

I would get the systems running exactly the same version just to rule out that
as a possible source of the problem.

>> lastly I don't suppose that it possible for you to switch to using the
>> MSSQL specific php extension? [http://php.net/mssql] it might offer a
>> better/faster connection to the MSSQL server as well as making the issue go
>> away.
>
> I don't believe the client allows direct MSSQL connections.  Besides, the
> MSSQL functions still require an ODBC driver underneath,

I didn't know that.

> so if the problem is
> with the ODBC driver then that won't change anything.

if what you say is true then it it would be a great way of determining if the
it is the ODBC driver that's the problem, and if using MSSQL extension make the problem
dissapear then you have a solution (given that it has to use an ODBC driver underneath,
you will still be conforming to the client's requirements by not connecting
directly).

sorry I couldn't be of more help/