Re: newbie question regarding URL parameters

On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 13:31 +1100, Ryan Fielding wrote:
> Robert Cummings wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 20:57 -0500, Jim the Standing Bear wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have a newbie question regarding URL parameters.  The PHP script I
> >> wrote need to read parameters passed in from a URL, so as an example
> >>
> >> http://my.domain/myscript.php?name=me&age=27
> >>
> >> and my script would use $name to get the value for name and $age to
> >> get the value for age.
> >>
> >> Everything was working fine until the sysadmin did a upgrade of the
> >> PHP server, and $name and $age both give me nothing.
> >>
> >> I am just wondering if the latest version of PHP has changed the way
> >>
> >                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Ummm, pull your head out of the sand (or whatever other dark recess you
> > have it stuck in). Register globals ini setting was defaulted to "off"
> > about 3 or more years ago :/
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Rob.
> >

> Mate is this kind of behaviour really neccesary?

I'm leaning towards yes.

> Some people don't know everything that you do

I don't know everything either, but register globals has been covered
here in depth for the entire length of time since the default value was
switched. There's this thing called the archives. There's also this
thing called "knowing the technology you use".

> and he has already stated he isn't responsible for administering the
> server.

Not responsible for administering the server is fine, but php.ini is
part of PHP and he did state he wrote the script. If you're suggesting a
PHP developer shouldn't need to be aware of the associated ini
configuration (regardless of whether they can admin it) then you also
need to get your head out of the sand.

Cheers,
Rob.