Re: PEAR mail sorted as spam

On Wed, January 3, 2007 4:29 am, Emil Edeholt wrote:
> I can of course tell Thunderbird that something is not spam, but I
> don't
> want all of my users to have to do that for every mail I send via
> pear.
> Maybe I haven't included some header non-spam usually have or
> something?
> Did my script look all okey?

There's no magical "this is not spam" header.

If there was, all the spammers would include it, and what would be the
point?

What you have to do is compare your email with one that survives the
spam obstacle course, and make your email lean and mean and fit to
survive.

Without looking at your code/email, the FIRST thing to do is to get
rid of HTML-enhanced (cough, cough) email.  Just use plain-text.

The odds of HTML-enhanced (cough, cough) email being spam is *SO* much
higher than plain-text, that you are right away going to lose the
battle with many spam filters if you use HTML-enhanced email.

Next, make sure that it looks like a REAL PERSON sent the email.

The From: and Reply-to: lines should be:
"Emil Edeholt" <emil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
and not just:
emil@xxxxxxxxxxxx

There are a zillion other things you can do -- You may want to install
SpamAssassin (etc) and run your email through it.  It adds headers
that tell you EXACTLY why you are losing "points" in the obstacle
course and getting labeled as spam.

Some things will be beyond your control, or willingness to change.
Having "medical.se" as the return address will probably send up a red
flag, just because of the disproportionate number of "medical" related
spams.

Fortunately, you don't need a PERFECT non-spam score -- Just one good
enough to pass the course.  The final number is user-configurable, so
it's about coming closer to an ideal rather than achieving a perfect
score.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?