Re: Payflow and Php5 on FreeBSD

# dmehler26@xxxxxxxxxx / 2006-12-29 07:20:58 -0500:
>    Thanks for your reply. Some additional information, I have not noticed a
> php5-pfpro extensions port, i did see one for php4, but i was informed that
> going back to php4 is not an option, programmers here use php5 specific
> functions.
> Judging from googling i'm sure i'm making this harder than it needs to be,
> but i have two requirements: one is to avoid or minimize downtime, and two
> is to not utilize both ports and source-compiled software, which in my
> opinion makes future maintence harder especially if i'm not going to be
> doing it.
>    I can think of two options, i'd appreciate comments, suggestions, and
> ideas. Option 1 is to uninstall all php5.x ports on the box and do a
> source-install of php5. I'm really not happy about this option, but i'll
> use it if something easier doesn't come along. Option2 is to compile php5
> from source on another box, get the pfpro.so shared object from that box,
> copy it in to the php5 extensions area on the original box, and load it via
> extensions.ini.

Both your options are inferior to the hypothetical case where there was
a php5-pfpro port in the official FreeBSD ports collection: you'd just
put your pfpro SDK into $DISTDIR, cd $PORTSDIR/devel/php5-pfpro,
sudo make install. Write the port and submit it to the FreeBSD GNATS.
They might reject the submission on basis of it being too much of a
niche software, but having the port will greatly improve the
administrators' experience maintaining the installation.

I'm suggesting that you bite the bullet while it still hasn't grown
the size of a cannon ball.

See Porter's Handbook [1] for instructions; you can use one of the
existing PECL ports as a template.  I can help you through the process
off-list.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/

>    Another idea is i've read on php.net that payflow is now a pecl
> extension, which i interpret to mean i could just download and drop it in,
> but i have not been able to find the file although this one would probably
> be easiest.

I don't believe you'll have much luck with binary downloads, building
the extension requires the Payflow Pro SDK, and AIUI one needs to be
registered with Verisign to have access to that. [2]

[2] http://cz.php.net/manual/en/ref.pfpro.php

Finding the library compiled by someone else might be easiest for the
moment, but quick money will only burn your ass.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.