Re: Clarification: Jump to a record/PHP paging...

On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 11:05 -0500, tedd wrote:

> In my opinion, wrong thinking. You ask how many records appear before
> and after a search string result. That's like asking "What's the
> difference between an orange?" -- it doesn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense. He has an order to his universe of items. The
search criteria pull out a subset of his universe and he wants to know
where in the universe any given item normally lies.

This is akin to asking I want all words from the dictionary that have
monster in their definition, then look at the word Yeti and saying ok,
now where does Yeti lie with respect to all other words.

Now to provide the answer he wants... AFAIK you need to select all items
from the table and populate into a temporary table with auto increment.
Then select the item in question and it's temporary ID from the
temporary table.

This question comes up every once in a while, I've yet to need such a
feature, and preferrably will never need it since it's not a convenient
solution to select the entire table... but maybe there's a better
solution.

Cheers,
Rob.