RE: How php works?

He did answer the question.  The PHP License doesn't enforce many
restrictions on what you can do with the code.  For example, you could
modify it (or not) and sell it without the source if you follow the
restrictions in the license.  The GPL specifically doesn't allow that of
course, so that's why they are incompatible.

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses