Re: Problems with Zip+IE6

# ceo@xxxxxxxxx / 2006-12-18 15:00:48 -0600:
> On Sat, December 16, 2006 6:17 am, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> > # ceo@xxxxxxxxx / 2006-12-15 22:55:54 -0600:

> >> filename=\"somefile.zip\"");

> >> Argggggh.
> >>
> >> Please read this:
> >> http://richardlynch.blogspot.com/
> >>
> >> Go test with MORE browsers and MORE OSes, because you haven't yet
> >> hit
> >> the ones where your Content-Disposition does not work, and they are
> >> out there somewhere.
> >
> > As if it mattered that much. The filename's just a hint, the browser
> > can be configured to ignore it even if it understands it, whatever.
> > I would even say you're bound to hit a browser configured for some
> > unintelligent reason to handle all app/o-s files with winamp. So what?
> > You cannot count on anything the UA will/not do to the content.
>
> If the browser ignores application/octet-stream and doesn't do a
> download, it's broken.

I think you missed my point, which was: broken software is.

> It *HAS* to prompt you for a filename and do a download, by the
> original HTTP RFC spec.  Please read more RFCs until you find the one
> about "application/octet-stream"
>
> If the UA opens up "application/octet-stream" it is in direct
> violation of one of the few HTTP standards that every other UA on the
> planet actually honors!
>
> A standard that is clear-cut, with no wiggle room for
> mis-interpretation whatsoever.

The only mention of a/o-s in HTTP 1.0 or 1.1 is this (1.1 version):

   Any HTTP/1.1 message containing an entity-body SHOULD include a
   Content-Type header field defining the media type of that body. If
   and only if the media type is not given by a Content-Type field, the
   recipient MAY attempt to guess the media type via inspection of its
   content and/or the name extension(s) of the URI used to identify the
   resource. If the media type remains unknown, the recipient SHOULD
   treat it as type "application/octet-stream".

HTTP actually defers to MIME for the CT entity header values.

a/o-s was actually proposed in RFC1341 (obsoleted by RFC1521), the
latter says:

    application -- some other kind of data, typically
         either uninterpreted binary data or information to
         be processed by a mail-based application.  The
         primary subtype, "octet-stream", is to be used in
         the case of uninterpreted binary data, in which
         case the simplest recommended action is to offer
         to write the information into a file for the user.

and:

   RFC 1341 also defined the use of a "NAME" parameter which gave a
   suggested file name to be used if the data were to be written to a
   file.  This has been deprecated in anticipation of a separate
   Content-Disposition header field, to be defined in a subsequent RFC.

   The recommended action for an implementation that receives
   application/octet-stream mail is to simply offer to put the data in a
   file, with any Content-Transfer-Encoding undone, or perhaps to use it
   as input to a user-specified process.

> What filename will any sane browser use for:
> http://example.com/dir1/dir2/iwant.xyz

HTTP doesn't discuss this at all, as far as I can tell.

> > [RFC2616 quote]

> If you read between the lines, what you will find is that Qualcomm
> essentially asked for an RFC to standardize the stupid behaviour of MS
> IE, which was using Content-Disposition, originally conceived for MIME
> Email, and not HTTP at all.

Qualcomm simply wanted to standardize something it badly needed for Eudora.

> Not to mention that it's a STUPID thing for MS IE to have done in the
> first place, to re-purpose a MIME email header for HTTP.  It doesn't
> even make sense, since Content-Disposition has a MIME type embedded in
> it, which may or may not match the Content-type of the HTTP Request!

Now you've completely discredited yourself.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.