Re: Cookies & page refresh

A cookie is sent BACK to the server after the server sends it to the
browser.  Period.

It's kind of like when you go to a movie, and you buy your ticket from
one person, and then you hand it to another, and they hand it back,
and then you have to be prepared to show it to prove you aren't
sitting through a second movie.

Walking back out front to the ticket sales window, you don't show them
your ticket again...

Maybe that's not such a good analogy...

Anyway, when you hit the back button, back to the first page, there is
no cookie, because there was no cookie in that request, because you
hadn't sent it.

If you reload, you get back the cookie, because the browser has it, so
it can send it now.

On Tue, December 12, 2006 9:28 am, William Stokes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a page that uses session cookies for deciding what content to
> show to
> a visitor. User also has 2 form objecks to apply filters to the
> content SQL
> queries. So at the beginning of the script I set 2 cookies based on
> user
> selections(or defaults) and after that make DB query based on user
> selections. I wanted to use cookies because there also "back - up -
> forward" links for pagination.
>
> Problem is that in order to get the cookie based system to work the
> page
> needs a refresh to read the cookies and display content corretly. Is
> this
> because the page loads faster than the server set's the cookies to
> client
> browser? If so what's the "corrert" / best way to implement the
> filters and
> page navigation if there's 2 form select lists and 3 links to navigate
> the
> page.
>
> Thanks
> -Will