Re: flash/php file uploader

Hi

Thanks for your answer, but I use an ajax solution right now and that is what I want to replace. I would really like to avoid flash, but I can't get this solution to work properly. Atleast my solution has been a little buggy in Safari (works mostly, but sometimes it won't upload the file) and I think sometimes in Firefox too, haven't tested it enough in Explorer to be sure if the bug is there too.

But formerly the upload speed has been extreeemly slow compared to a flash solution or a normal form file upload. I've based my work on http://tomas.epineer.se/archives/3 do you know if that is a good implementation?

I could send you some of my source, if you want/have time to take a quick look? (would really like to know if my code is bad, or if it's the browsers support for ajax file upload that are buggy/slow).

Mustafa Aras Koktas wrote:
Hello

Flash is not the best solution for this.
Either patch PHP with an unofficial patch for accessing raw data content
length which is available on the manual page of file uploads in php.net
or use perl to access raw data.

I use a combination of  the following

1. post data to perl
2. perl file gets the data length and id of the file, saves it to a
temporary file
3. on post submit an ajax application posts to a php file with the same id
4. php file checks the length of the temporary file with the corresponding
id number
5. php file writes the size, and some fancy graphs to screen
6. ajax sets timeout every 3 seconds to update status
7. perl file forwards the saved data to a php file, so that it can make
necessary operations on the raw data.

It works fine this way.

--Aras
--