Re: file uploads Q?

Richard Lynch wrote:
> On Sat, December 9, 2006 12:18 pm, William Stokes wrote:
>> Is it possible to allow  user pick several images and upload them all
>> at
>> once? (I need to pass the images to a function for the resize). Or do
>> I need
>> to give several browse buttons to allow multiple file uploads?
>
> Yes, you would need to have several INPUT TYPE="FILE" browse buttons.
>
>> Also I have seen a application (written with MS tools) that allows
>> user to
>> upload a zip file containing images and the zip is automatically
>> uncompressed to a server disk. Can this be done with PHP also?
>
> Yes.
> http://php.net/zip

the zip extension is only available in php5.2 (or installable via
pecl).

another option would to use the exec() function to make a call to
gunzip in order to unpack the contents of the zip file.

a truely poorman's alternative would be to offer multiple FILE input
fields on the relevant page and check which one's are not empty when
the submission occurs.

lastly there are custom (usually java based) browser plugins capable
of providing uploads-on-steriods - obviously there would a purchasing cost
involved and more than likely you will be requried to implement something
server side to complete the functionality.