PHP Installation question

Hi,

I am trying to install vBulletin and keep getting this error: Fatal error:
Call to undefined function: gzinflate().

The only thing I can find on this is that zlib needs to be configured with
PHP at compile time. So I reinstalled PHP using the following:

./configure --with-mysql --with-apache=../apache_1.3.36 --with-zlib
--with-gd
make
make install

The above finishes with no error.

I rebooted, but still get same error, and zlib or gd doesn't show up in my
phpinfo output. zlib is installed, and from my understanding gd is included
with PHP, all the other libraries for gd are also installed. So what am I
doing wrong?

Also, how do I find out where something is installed? i.e. zlib. If I do a
search on it I get hundreds of hits...

Last. In the above ./configure line I get a message from PHP saying I am
using the built in version of MySQL - if I point it to the actual MySQL
source directory I get the following error.

configure: error: Cannot find libmysqlclient library under ../mysql-5.0.22

Any help is appreciated.

I am using Slacware 10, PHP 4.4.4, MySQL5.0, and Apache 1.3.36

Thanks