Re: Space in regex

. means *ANY* character, unless you escape it for PCRE

\. is what PCRE needs.

So, in PHP, to get the \ down to PCRE, you want 2 \:

Then there is the issue that '-' looks like a "range" character (A-Z
etc) so you should put it at the end.

And there is no need to use the confusing (to me) ::xyz:: stuff...

'/[A-Za-z0-9\\'\\.& _-]/'

You can simplify this a bit to:
'/[A-Z0-9\\'\\.& _-]/i'

That assumes PCRE.  If you've regressed to that ereg stuff, you're on
your own.

On Thu, November 16, 2006 3:08 pm, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I'm trying to match alphanumeric characters, some common symbols, and
> spaces. Why does this NOT match strings containing spaces?:
> [A-Za-z0-9\'.&-:underscore::space:]
>
> I've also tried these, that also fail to match strings containing
> spaces:
> [A-Za-z0-9\'.&- :underscore:]
> [A-Z a-z0-9\'.&-:underscore:]
> [:space:A-Za-z0-9\'.&-:underscore:]
>
> All these regexes match strings containing the specified characters,
> but none of them match strings with spaces.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com/
> http://technology-sleuth.com/
>
> --