Excel problem

Hello all,
Am pretty new to the world of PHP. And am now stuck.
Its like i am displayin the data from a database on to my webpage in
the form of tables.
but now i also want an option for the user to download the above data
into an excel format for the offline use. I dont want to create the
excel file for each of the webpage i am displaying as they are all
dynamic so there can be many.
is there a way so that only if user click the given link at the bottm
of the page then only the data is transferred to excel.
i.e how to i write the displayed data dynamically to the excel without
storing anything on the server.
I am able to config the pear:excelwriter but dont know hwo to get it
working according to my requirements.

please advice.

thanks